Children’s Theatre began in 1945 with the aim to provide the children of the community with plays. In the beginning Junior League members would rehearse a play for six weeks and would travel to schools throughout Ulster County to perform these plays for the students. Their performances were free of charge to the thousands of children they played to and the Junior League members who participated in the plays did it because they enjoyed the interaction with children.
The Puppet Theatre grew out of the Children’s Theatre, with their first performance in 1961 at the Children’s Room of the Kingston Public Library. For the first show, six performers presented seven performances of “The Dragon’s Dilemma” at the Hurley, Saugerties, Stone Ridge and Town of Ulster Libraries, and in the Children’s Wards of the Kingston and Benedictine Hospitals.